After scraping glasses, every eyeglass wearer wonders how to remove scratches from glasses with perfection. Perhaps the glasses have fallen out of the pocket, smashed in the bag, or thrown into the air. Their rescue process is essential.
Another important thing is the scratches, when left ignored, leave people visually impaired, particularly on high-power lenses.
So, to help you out dealing with scratched glasses, we have found a few DIY ways. These can save your favorite glasses from being ruined.
5 Ways To Remove Scratches From Glasses Without A Hitch
- Use Specified Glasses Cleaner
Lens coatings are the cures for lenses that help improve their performance and durability. They also affect the appearance of lenses.
But due to regular use, the coating of the lens starts getting light scratches. In this case, you can follow this process to remove scratches from prescription glasses with coating.
- Spray a tiny amount of glass cleaner on your lenses.
- Next, rub the scratched part with a clean microfiber cloth in circular motions. If the scrape remains on it, you can replicate the whole process again.
- Use Baking Soda And Water
Another way to remove scratches from glasses is by using Baking soda. It has alkaline properties, making it ideal for wiping off every acidic residue prevailing on your glass lenses.
Furthermore, when you add water, a thick paste gets composed. That you can use for removing deep scratches from your silhouettes.
Here is the thorough method how to remove scratches from glasses with baking soda with ease:
- First, add two tablespoons of baking soda and one tablespoon of water to make a paste. The quantity of baking soda and water depends on the number of scratches your glasses have.
- Next, take a dab of the thick paste on a cotton ball. Make sure you take a small quantity of it for every scratch.
- Begin rubbing the cotton on the scratched area in circular motions. Do it for about 5-10 seconds.
- When done, place the spectacles under lukewarm water to clean the paste. Pay special attention while cleaning paste from the crevices and other tiny places where the paste could seep.
- Dry the glasses with a microfiber cloth. And look for any trace of paste from lenses. You can place your glasses under light to inspect any remaining damage. Reapply the paste again if you still see the scratches.
- Use Regular Toothpaste
Everyday white toothpaste is very beneficial in removing scratches from the lens of your glasses. Here is the precise method on how you can remove scratches from glasses with toothpaste.
- First, take a small quantity of toothpaste on the cotton ball. Then, rub it in circular motions on every scrape for 5-10 seconds. This action will buff the scratch away from the lenses.
- After that, rinse the eyeglass with water to remove the paste. Do it properly to remove the paste from hard-to-reach parts.
- At last, put the eye frame under the light to check the scratch. If the scratch is still there, repeat the whole procedure.
- Car Wax or Furniture Wax
Plastic frames can also get scratches due to constant wear and tear. You can use car wax or furniture wax as an ideal option to avoid such issues. Here is the method of how to remove scratches from plastic glasses frames with wax:
- First, clean the surface of lenses to know where the scratches exist. Make sure you use an authentic glass cleaner and a lint-free microfiber cloth. You can get both these at an eyeglass shop or optician’s clinic. They will prescribe it to you when you buy glasses from there.
- Next, take a small quantity of car or furniture wax on the lenses. Rub it gently on the scratched area in circular motions using a cotton ball. When done, begin rinsing it with cool water. When the scratch is deep, repeat the procedure a few more times.
- After that, take a while to observe any signs of scratches. When you do not notice any signs, wipe off the excess wax by first rinsing with water and then drying with a non-abrasive rag.
Through this step, you will be able to see through glasses. But you may need to reapply it weekly for more good results.
- Use Metal Polish And Alcohol
Another way to remove scratches from the lens of your glasses is by using two suitable and easily found household products, metal polish and rubbing alcohol. These products are very to discard away scrapes from glasses lenses. Here are the detailed steps for how to remove scratches from the glasses lens with them.
- First, clean your glasses with a microfiber cloth.
- Then take a cotton bud and apply the rubbing alcohol or metal polish. Make sure you choose a low abrasive metal polish to vanish away each scratch.
- Next, clean your glasses again and look for scratches. If you still find them, repeat the process till they vanish.
How To Remove Scratches From Polycarbonate Glasses?
Polycarbonate glasses are different from others because of their scratch-resistant features. Such lenses are also very reasonable as children’s eyewear and prescription safety glasses because they are lightweight and comfortable.
But in case your glasses get scratched, glass etching cream is a great approach to fix scrapes. Any regular glass etching cream containing hydrofluoric acid can serve the purpose.
Following is the detailed practice to remove scratches from glasses with polycarbonate lenses :
- First, apply a little bit of glass etching cream to the lenses. Then, let the cream settle on them for about 5 minutes.
- After that, wipe off the lenses after washing them in cool water. The glass etching cream will come out with scratches.
How To Remove Scratches From Transition Lenses?
Transition or Photochromic lenses are very effective for darkening outdoors when you have sensitivity to sunlight. They are prominent enough to block 100 percent of the ultraviolet rays coming from the sun. Due to these aspects, you do not need to wear prescription glasses separately.
Although, such kinds of lenses are not able to get scratched easily. But if you still get scratches, it is possible to buff away them from your transition lenses. Following is the method you follow to rectify your lenses:
- Place your glasses under a running water tap for a few minutes. Wet them properly.
- Next, use a soft, lint-free cloth to wipe the glasses. In this step, try to remove every kind of dust or debris from your glasses. Do it gently. Otherwise, hard rubbing may cause additional scratches while you are going to remove the old scratch.
- After that, take a white grease pencil and draw a circle around the scratched part on your lenses.
- Next, take the chamois cloth. And gently rub over the pencil mark into the lens in circular motions. The heat and light friction caused by the rubbing will help to blend away the scratch or fill it.
- Stop for a while and look for scratches. If you still find them, you continue buffing and polishing until the scratch disappears.
How To Remove Scratches From Safety Glasses?
Safety Glasses get scratches in construction, welding, demolishing and renovating. Such glasses may also get scratched while cleaning with an abrasive cloth or shirt.
Another reason that may cause scratches is dropping the safety glasses on a hard surface. In such a how you can avoid scratches to appear:
- First, mix the glass cleaner with a few drops of dish soap in a small bowl.
- Next, dip a soft cloth into the mix. And gently rub it over the lenses. When you notice no more scratches are left on the glasses, rinse and dry them after wiping them off with a microfiber cloth.
Instead of pouring glass cleaner and dish soap, you can use a few drops of baby wash. First, pour them into the warm water.
Then, apply the solution to your glasses with a soft cloth. Rub the mixture gently on the scratched part till all the scratches fade away.
Pause for a while and search for scratches. If you still find them, repeat the same steps till there are no marks left.
Over To You
Now you know how to remove scratches from glasses. Although these methods are temporary solutions, they are helpful quick fixes.
But in case the scratches are too deep and stubborn, these antidotes may not be useful to cure your favorite pair of glasses.
So always bear in mind that placing the glasses in the wrong way can remove lens coatings, scratch the lenses, and reduce the vision ability of the glasses.
Have questions? Ask us in the comments below.